PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Community Involvement

bruce
08-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Before each legislative session, I try to give our lobbyist a list of the things we do to benefit our community. He in turn hands this out to legislators to demonstrate that we are indeed involved.

I frankly donít give a damn if you belong to the 4 Wheel Drive Association or not; this list demonstrates that the 4x4 community cares. I donít care if youíre a Minnesota club benefiting a community in another state or are a club in another state with an attachment to Minnesota, I want to know what you do. And I donít care how small you think the contribution is, I want to know; it matters. Either let me know on this thread or PM me what you did or anticipate doing in 2013 that benefits the communities.

Give me some details. If youíre part of the Adopt-A-Highway program; what section of highway? How often do you go out? If youíre involved with a charity, do you donate money, labor, and/or equipment? Did your club respond to a local catastrophe; what did you do?

I know that the Rough Riders are involved with Toys for Tots. I know that HTR and TCOR are involved with Crawl 4 the Cure. I know that the Go 4 Wheelers, Trail Riders, LWT, DOP, and some Mn-Jeep people are involved in MuckFest. I know that the River Wranglers are involved with the MS Society.
Below is an example of what I gave him in 2008. I want to remove the MN4WDA banner and change it to ORV.

MN4WDA Community Activities 2008
Multiple Sclerosis Society:
MN4WDA leader John Johnson leads the annual Crawl 4 The Cure event at Gilbert with the help from HTR 4x4 and TCOR. This year they raised in excess of $40,000 for the Minnesota chapter of the Multiple Sclerosis Society. The group is proud to deliver 100% of the profits directly to this cause and this group is the largest non-commercial contributor to the MS Society. In four yearís they have raised more than $120,000 for the Society.

Flood Relief:
For United Way flood relief in southeastern Minnesota
Five clubs - HTR 4x4's, Mn Go 4 Wheelers, Mn Outback, River Valley Off-road, and Rochester RoughRiders - provided labor, tools and skills to repair the plumbing in two homes, hang drywall in three homes, transfer furniture from a home to storage, move a storage building, and repaint the interior of the only food store in town.

Food Shelf Relief:
The 4WD community organized a food drive for the food shelf in Gilbert. The response went beyond the expected non-perishables. Needing everything from food to canned goods to toothpaste, contributors delivered 600 pounds of food plus cash to the food shelf.

Environmental Restoration:
DNR Adopt-A-River: In June 08', MN4WDA made a dent in the cleanup of an old junkyard in Belle Plaine as part of the DNR's Adopt-A-River program. The DNR needed 4WD vehicles, winches, and heavy equipment to remove tires, oil tanks, refrigerators, and assorted car parts/bodies that had been washed into low-lying areas by floods. Eleven clubs, HTR 4x4, Lunatic Wrecking Team, MN land Rovers, Mn Outback, Mn TrailRiders, Midwest Vintage Broncos, River Valley OffRoad, Beater Boys, Team Stroker, Mains, and Coler responded to the call with 4x4's, winches, chains, trailers, and two skid loaders to remove some of the trash from what will eventually be a wildlife sanctuary.

Adopt-A-Highway:
Numerous clubs across the state volunteer for this worthy program. A couple of examples are Beater Boys in the Princeton area and Twin City Off Road in the Rosemount area.

Off Road Parks:
In June, the Trail Geeks helped with signage and general cleanup in the Appleton park, and TCOR and the North Shore Wheelers built the new Sidewall trail in Gilbert.

Annual Open House in Gilbert:
NSW sponsors the annual Open House in Gilbert as well as demonstrating responsible off-road vehicle operation at the Lake County Fair in Two Harbors.

Toys for Tots:
MN Land Rovers are annual contributors, while the Rochester RoughRiders have an annual event in which the admission fee is an unwrapped toy. This event is so big that the Marine Reserve has a presence at and participates in the event. The Go 4's donate radios, skateboards, make up kits and anything a teen might want to their countyís Toys for Tots program. The MN Go 4 Wheelers are the largest single contributor to that county's program. The Go 4's also sponsored a hole at the Veterans On the Lake Golf Tournament.